HALICTIDAE - Nomia Bees
- Bees in this family are usually black with metallic colours. They are
solitary (each female bee build nest, lays and cares her own eggs) or
communal (share nest with other female but care her own eggs). Females nest in
ground or rotting wood, males do not nest but cluster together at night.
- Nomia Bees have short pointed tongues and feed on different shallow
- Cluster of Green and Gold Nomia Bees
- Lipotriches australica (Nomia australica), body length 10mm
- The bees have golden yellow bands on their abdomen. On their head there are
the large brown compound eyes, long antenna and golden yellow face.
- In late summer we found a cluster of
them resting on a tall grass late in the afternoon in a bushland near Alexandra
Hill. We believed they are the males clustered together for the night.
[ Up ] [ Family COLLETIDAE ] [ Family HALICTIDAE ] [ Family MEGACHILIDAE ] [ Family ANTHOPHORIDAE ] [ Family APIDAE ]